With Hanukah right around the corner, you will want to make this winning Potato Latke recipe from the New Beth El Cookbook.
submitted by Sarah Levine–Debby Moidel’s bubbie
1 small onion
1/2 cup cornflake crumbs (not cornflake cereal)
1 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Peel and grate potatoes and onion.
- Drain liquid.
- Mix potatoes, onion, eggs, salt, pepper, baking powder and cornflake crumbs together.
- Add more crumbs if mixture is too wet.
- Heat 1/4″ oil in frying pan.
- Place Tablespoons full of mixture in the hot oil.
- Flatten mixture to make crispy thin latkes.
- Fry one side until golden brown.
- Turn over and fry other side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.
Makes 25 servings
NOTE: This is the winning recipe from the 2011 Beth El Latke Throwdown! (Ref. Dec 2011 issue of the Mt. Lebanon magazine.)
Word around shul is the Zayin Class will be making this latke recipe in B-shul (cooking) at Religious School!
You’ll find more delicious recipes in our new Beth El Cookbook: Fishes, Knishes, & Other Tasty Dishes. Order yours today!