I can’t wait to hand grate potatoes for latkes said no one EVER! This recipe is dedicated to all my followers who are short on time and/or don’t have a food processor to grate potatoes. I also broke it down to an individual portion so ANYONE can make lakes ANYTIME! (Howard Shirey-no more desperate requests to overnight you latkes for Hanukkah!)
The big time saver is purchasing frozen shredded potatoes (usually marketed as hash browns.) Nowadays you can even purchase pre-chopped onions so no more crying over frying! The Vav-Zayin students enjoyed making, blessing (foods from the Earth/Ha Adama) and eating latkes! This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled. If you are making a huge batch check out last year’s blog on oven frying your latkes.
And safety patrol reminder, keep salt near the stove when you pan fry or oven fry latkes. Salt puts out grease fires!
- 1 cup frozen grated potatoes, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-3 teaspoon(s) chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 2-3 dashes salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Cornflake crumbs
(or gluten free flour)
- squeeze water out of 1 shredded potatoes and put in bowl
- beat 1 egg and add to potatoes
- add onion to taste (1-3 teaspoons)
- add baking powder, salt, pepper, and cornflake crumbs (GF flour) and mix batter
- drop 3-4 scoops into frying pan with hot oil
- fry each side for about 3 min until golden brown
Enjoy topped with sour cream and applesauce! Or for a breakfast twist, top with lox or a poached egg! However you enjoy your latkes, have a miraculous Hanukkah!