Need to cook A LOT of latkes? Want to actually eat latkes with your guests? Try this tested and delicious oven method to fry your latkes.
- Prepare your latkes (I use Deb Moidel’s winning Latke Throwdown recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place 1/2 cup of oil on a cookie sheet with a lip. (Yes it is a lot but just like pan frying there will be plenty of oil left over!)
- Put the cookie sheet with oil into the hot oven for about 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cookie sheet with HOT oil.
- Drop the potato latke mixture by tablespoons on the prepared baking sheet, spacing the latkes about 2 inches apart. Gently spread and flatten into 2 1/2-inch rounds. Depending on size, you can easily fit 12 – 16 latkes per cookie sheet.
- Cook until the bottoms are browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Flip and cook until the potatoes are cooked through and the bottoms are spotted brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove crispy latkes from cookie sheets to paper towel to drain excess oil.