On September 28th Beth El’s Zayin class kicked off religious school by participating in a mitzvah! Our students prepared and served dinner to homeless families at the Bower Hill Community Church. This location serves as a site for Family Promise of Southwestern Pennsylvania. The organization connects children and families experiencing homelessness with a network of local congregations and dedicated staff, all focused on providing them with shelter, meals, hospitality, and support until they are able to return to sustainable independent lives in their own homes. This delicious meal of green salad, lasagna, challah rolls, fruit salad and chocolate cake certainly made the day much sweeter for these families. Please take a moment to acknowledge the positive impact our students have made on others. And if you like chocolate cake, this recipe is a crowd pleaser! Beth El congregant Toby Tabachnick was kind enough to share it with Beth El Nursery School, and I have been using it ever since for a pareve Shabbat or holiday treat!
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 box Duncan Heinz Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 package instant chocolate or vanilla pudding
- 6 oz chocolate chips (pareve or dairy)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 13×9 pan with cooking spray
(or use cupcake tins-makes 2 dozen)
- Mix ingredients together for about 2 minutes
- Bake 35-40 minutes (20-25 minutes for cupcakes)
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving